Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Book Review: Creepy Cute Crochet

As you know I am mildly addicted to books and this is one of my new favorites. Ever since I found out I could make totally adorable little dolls with crochet I have been crazy for it and that is where this book comes in.

Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden

Mine is not as cool as the ones from her Etsy shop (she did not sign mine... boo). But it is still awesome! She has some incredible patterns for all kinds of unusual creatures to make into dolls. DH really wants a cthulhu (from Lovecraft and adorable) and one of my former students wants a Brotherhood of Steel (from Fallout 3) modded from one of the warrior patterns. There is just so much fun you can have with this.

Beyond everything being so cute, Christen is also a phenomenal pattern writer. Her patterns are simple enough a beginner could handle them (slowly but still) and she has great instructions on how to make eyes and the little accessories.

In my opinion assembly is the hardest part of toys but she has a step by step guide for each doll and she even includes drawings to help with placement and order. This is a great book to start off with when learning to make amigurumi or little crocheted dolls of any type since it is so user friendly.


I have actually been busy making some of the items from the book. Below is my belated (only by a week) V-day gift to DH... Day of the Dead Guy and Gal... we just got married last August so he wanted these to commemorate it. There was also a skeleton bride an groom but DH liked these better... I guess they seem more like us. So go out and check this book out at some point!

Happy Crocheting!

No comments: